NOTE: CCA auditions will be virtual this year due to the ongoing community health crisis. Applicants will receive an email with your Zoom meeting details.
Strings, Winds & Percussion: ALL LEVELS / GRADES 6 – 12
- Provide a current, small photo (headshot) and a brief resume with any music experience or special talents. You may email the headshot and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the student name and fine arts major in the email.
- Auditions are NOT conducted for piano. Piano class is open to all students, but piano is not an arts major at CCA.
- Students must be willing to attend an approved professional and/or collegiate-level concert every nine weeks. (Please note: the concert attendance requirement is subject to change based upon public health conditions in the community.)
- Students must be committed to attending all required rehearsals and performances outside of school hours.
- Students must have the ability to rent or purchase an instrument.
BEGINNING STRINGS, WINDS & PERCUSSION – no experience, grades 6 – 8
Auditions for beginning musicians will take the form of an aptitude test. Students should be ready to sing, clap, tap their foot, march on beat, and generally demonstrate their musical knowledge base. Students should be prepared to:
- Commit to spending at least thirty minutes a day practicing.
- Test for rhythmic and melodic perception.
- Identify common music symbols.
BEGINNING STRINGS, WINDS & PERCUSSION – one year or less prior experience, grades 6 – 8
- Bring an instrument, music, and short prepared piece to the audition. Percussionists auditioning in person should bring sticks/mallets and may play the snare drum or mallet instruments that we have here, unless you have a preference to bring your own.
- Know how to hold an instrument properly.
- Produce a pleasing sound.
- Demonstrate an understanding of steady beat and be able to play with a metronome.
BEGINNING STRINGS: Perform from memory one octave of the D Major scale.
BEGINNING WINDS: Perform from memory one octave of the Bb Major scale.
INTERMEDIATE STRINGS, WINDS & PERCUSSION
- Perform a solo or excerpt that demonstrates proficiency.
- Sight-read a piece.
INTERMEDIATE STRINGS: Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of notes on all four strings. Perform from memory the C, G, and D Major scales.
INTERMEDIATE WINDS: Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of notes. Perform from memory the Bb, F, Eb, and chromatic scales.
INTERMEDIATE PERCUSSION: Demonstrate a knowledge of keyboard percussion, snare, and timpani. Perform the snare rudiments: Flam, Flam Accent, and 5, 9, and 17 rolls.
ADVANCED STRINGS, WINDS & PERCUSSION
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the music terminology appropriate to high school level literature.
- Demonstrate the ability to sight-read at an advanced level.
- Play advanced rhythms.
- Perform a solo that demonstrates proficiency.
ADVANCED STRINGS: Violin, viola, and cello – perform from memory the major scales up to three sharps and flats in at least two octaves. Bass – perform the G Major scale two octaves and the F, Bb, C, and, D Major scales in at least one octave.
ADVANCED WINDS: Perform the Bb, F, Eb, Ab, C, G, and D Major scales from memory – at least one octave, two when possible.
ADVANCED PERCUSSION: Tune timpani, perform keyboard scales in C, F, Bb, Eb, G, and D Major two octaves from memory. For snare drum, please prepare an etude from the book, The All American Drummer, by Charley Wilcoxon.