NOTE: CCA auditions will be virtual this year due to the ongoing community health crisis. Applicants will receive an email with your Zoom meeting details.
Vocal Music applicants, scroll down to read some tips from Ms. Calloway for your virtual vocal music audition!
All Levels/ Grades 6 – 12
- Provide a current, small photo (headshot) and a brief resume with any visual arts training or special skills. You may email the headshot and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the student name and fine arts major in the email. Vocal Music applicants are also encouraged to provide a letter of recommendation from a music teacher, if applicable.
- Students must commit to attending all required rehearsals and performances outside of school hours, and must also be willing to attend a professional concert every nine weeks.
- During the audition, a CD or iPod music without voices may be used for accompaniment. The music should be played in the student’s physical location as the student sings. (This is to ensure that the music and vocals align correctly for the Zoom audition.) No a cappella auditions are allowed.
- Demonstrate a sincere desire to study basic vocal music.
- Test for rhythmic and melodic ability.
- Identify common music symbols.
- Sing a scale and arpeggio from a teacher demonstration.
- Perform a short prepared solo with accompaniment. (See above.)
- Read and perform at sight different note values and rhythmic patterns.
- Perform from memory a short solo demonstrating proficiency (with accompaniment, as noted above).
- Read and perform at sight melodic lines using neutral syllables or solfege,
- Sight-read a piece.
- Perform a prepared solo demonstrating advanced proficiency (with accompaniment, as noted above).
Ms. Calloway’s Tips for Virtual Vocal Music Auditions:
- Please wake up early enough to get your voice warmed up for singing.
- Make sure your audition space is in a quiet location of your home.
- Make sure your song selection is appropriate for your age and voice.
- Since you will be auditioning via Zoom, you will need to provide your own accompaniment. Make sure you have two devices: one to zoom with and one to play your music with.
- Please dress appropriately for an audition/interview. Look nice!